Saturday, August 11, 2012

It's that time of the year

We headed back to school last week on Wednesday for a day of training before our "official" first day on Thursday.  Wednesday's training included more information on the common core standards that first grade starts this year.  We got both a revised math and reading curriculum reflecting the new standards as well as a new social studies curriculum.  It's going to be a year with many instructional changes.  On Thursday morning we went to the high school for the annual "Welcome Back Breakfast."  I love this event because it's a chance to see friends at others schools and catch up on the news as well as hearing all of the new teachers in the county being introduced by their new principals.  This year was kinda bittersweet since this is the last year with our current superintendent of schools since he is retiring after the election in November.  (This is the man who hired me 25 years ago after I had interned at Shadeville in a first grade class.  I was thrilled to be hired the next year and I've never considered making an employment change.)  He's been a hands-on superintendent who visits the schools during the Open Houses and he's always come to the school several times a year for visits to classrooms.  It's going to be strange to have someone else taking his place in a few months.  Oops, sorry I digressed!  Thursday afternoon we met as a grade level to make some plans for the year and discuss how we would be handling the curriculum changes. Friday was supposed to  to be our data day but due to programs not being ready and uncooperative computers we ended up getting most of the day to work in our rooms instead!  YEA!!!  I've gotten a lot done in my room with my new superhero theme and I can't wait to post some pictures next week after I get everything up.  (One of teaching buddies is encouraging me to sell some of my superhero items that I've made on TpT.  Maybe after I post pictures of my class I"ll upload them and pin them to Pinterest as see what happens.)  Speaking of making items, I need to get busy making a few more signs to finish up my Daily 5 board.

No comments:

Post a Comment