Wednesday, August 7, 2013

It's Back to School Time

Well, today is the last day of my summer vacation!!!  Tomorrow is an inservice day that covers our new reading and math curriculums.  Everyone moves to common core this year and we get new reading and math series that are aligned to the common core standards.  It is an "optional" day but I think most people will be there since they are paying a stipend and because it's important content.  We also had an optional training last week that I went to on the PAX Good Behavior Game.  It's a program that our school is piloting for the state and it's going to replace the PBS we had for the past few years.  It's sounds interesting but it's one more new thing in a year of BIG changes!!!  Here is a link if you're interested in learning more.  http://www.goodbehaviorgame.com/

Friday is our first official day back and we'll kick off the year at the district's annual Back To School Breakfast.  Each year our district has a breakfast for all of the teachers at the high school.  Principals get to introduce new employees, our district teacher of the year speaks and it's a great chance to see friends at others schools and catch up on all the news.  The district hosts a lunch on the same day for support staff so everyone gets a great welcome back to start the year.

I went into school yesterday and worked in my room for a bit.  I painted some sections of my bathroom wall to convert into bulletin board space.  I'm planning on putting border around the rectangles that I painted and I'm planning to post the weekly spelling words and other important information.  I had the brainstorm at the end of the school year that I could make bathroom time learning time if I did this and my principal said it sounded like a good idea when I asked for permission to paint.  I also covered the big mirror on the outside of my bathroom door with contact paper to turn it into a bulletin board.  I've covered it up for several years with a pocket chart but had the idea of contact paper over the summer.  I think I'm going to use it like a mini word wall by using this spot for my superhero days of the week, months of the year, number and color word cards.  I'll post pictures this weekend.

Thanks to those who have purchased some of my superhero items on TpT or Teacher's Notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment