Monday, October 22, 2012

Lesson Plan Decision

For several years now I've used a template that I made with Publisher to do my lesson plans.  It worked OK  but sometimes I didn't have enough room to include everything that needed to be in my plans. Since we've made the switch to using common core standards this year I decided that it was time to make a lesson plan change as well.  My problem was that I didn't know what I wanted to switch to.  After much thought and just jotting down lesson plans on notebook paper while debating what to do I finally decided to start using www.planbook.com to do my plans.  I learned about this program through a post from April Walker at www.ideabackpack.blogspot.com that reviewed several different options that could be used for lesson planning.  After looking at the different programs she talked about, I ended up setting up a trial account with planbook.com to see if I would like using it on a regular basis.  I liked it so much that I just paid for my membership (only $12 for one year).  I really like the following options:

  • You can set up a daily schedule with classes and times that vary from day to day as needed.
  • It's easy to set up special events such as early release days, teacher planning days and holidays.
  • You can easily add standards (common core as well as state standards) and when you are ready to add them, the standards pop up with the number and the written description of the standard. 
  • You can easily bump lessons forward if you didn't get to something one day or if you need to spend more time on a lesson before moving on to the next lesson.
  • You can print lessons one day at a time or you can show the whole week (I like the one day format to be able to leave for a substitute when you have a planned absence).
If you've been looking for a new option, check it out! I know I'm loving it!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you like it. I need to upgrade myself. We were having some internet issues at work and it was getting frustrating. I haven't been using it as much, but I need to start up again.

    ReplyDelete