Sunday, August 25, 2013

Trying to catch up!

Wow, this school start has been especially hectic!  There are just too many new things going on and I can't seem to get caught up.  With common core, we have changed to the Journeys reading series by Harcourt but we aren't using the weekly stories.  We are only using the spelling, high frequency words to know, vocabulary skills and the grammar/language components from the series..  We are using exemplars and exemplar plans chosen by our district as the reading portion of the program.  We also got new math books that were realigned to cover the common core skills.  In addition to the new reading and math changes, we are also piloting a program called the PAX Good Behavior Game and we will have a grade level game coach in and out of our rooms observing and helping implement the program.  Add in an intern (who is doing a super job) which makes me feel like I should have it more together to set a good example for her.  I haven't done any official lesson plans even though she has already had to turn  in plans for some areas that she will be starting to take on at the end of the week.  I told her that the first few weeks I always play it by ear.  I have a plan of things to be accomplished during the week but I don't actually write a written plan until after the fact when I see what I got to on any given day.  To me that's better than having to redo them because we didn't get to something or things took longer or less time than I thought.  (Am I the only person who does this?)

We have got a class of 15 sweet kiddos but they have a wide ability range.  Everything from one who is still working on letters and sounds (after two years of kindergarten, but placed SLD at the end of last year) to someone reading at a 2.5 level at the end of kindergarten.  Some are good listeners and directions followers but others...not so much.  The write every day mandate that came with common core will be a challenge with some of our new friends because they just look at you when you ask them to write even a short sentence.  I know it will come with time but everyone is feeling the pressure on our first grade team.  I'm glad it's not just me.

On a personal note, my baby started kindergarten this year.  His teacher is a sweet lady who has been teaching over 30 years.  She does a great job and I know she will challenge him while dealing with his active personality.  He's excited to be at "Mama's school" this year and says kindergarten is fun because he gets to play.  Just in case starting kindergarten wasn't a sign he is growing up to fast, he also lost his first tooth yesterday.  He has spent the day playing with a Gearopolis game that the tooth fairy left him.  Doesn't the tooth fairy always leave an extra special treat on her first visit???? 

Well, I guess I'd better get busy on making some lesson plans for this week.  I need to start setting a better example for my intern!  I promise to be back soon with pictures of some of our upcoming activities and lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment